Sunday, April 17, 2005

On growing up waiting for the apocalypse

I Tivo'd the new NBC mini-series "Revelations" the other day. As end of the world stories were one of the few forms of fiction I could read growing up, I have this fascination with the end of the world. As those of you raised in a church that refers to the end of the world in its name might understand. It was okay. Kind of typical. Bill Pullman was acceptable but not wonderful. It pretty much just set up satanists versus skeptical scientists versus catholics out to research all the signs of the end of the world. The brain-dead girl portion of the show was strangely prescient as it was filmed before the media circus of a few weeks ago. I'm not sure I recommend it, I just want to note something that occurred to me while I was watching it. I'll phrase it in the form of a question. Doesn't it really seem like the end of the world will not be brought on by atheists and their evil scientist allies, but crazy religious folk out to either start or stop the end of the world? In other words, the atheists and scientists I know hope for a sane, rational world that we all build together, not a utopian paradise build on the ashes of apocalyptic fire.

Well, of course you have your wacko environmental types that do seem to be jonesing for a some sort of environmental apocalypse (global warming or whatever) so maybe I'm just noticing the fringes too much. A comment on one of the blogs I read said it was interesting how extremists on both sides envision a horrible tragedy that would leave behind only those that prepared appropriately (i.e. those who think like them). Still, I think it's hard to work for a better future when your religious philosophy says the world will slide into ruin no matter what you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment