Tuesday, April 12, 2005

More oil blogging

So, for those of you less likely to eat up the fire and brimstone of modern day prophets, I submit more cautious and perhaps reasonable response to the Long Emergency article I linked to below.

For the record, it's not so much that I desire the doom and gloom scenario, I do like the option to drive 700 miles and all of my gadgetry does run on precious, precious electricity. I am just fascinated with disasters is all. Which is why I once made Eric sit through the Core with me. I loved the disaster part, even if the rest was physically painful to watch. I am the only one I know who likes Armageddon, Godzilla and Independence Day. Although truthfully I can only stomach certain bits of ID because I think Bull Pullman is a fairly bad actor.

Also, I am simply fascinated by our amazing lack of long-term planning. The Bush administration should have evacuation routes for when the sun goes nova damn it! Okay, that may be a bit much. Seeing us through the next ice age will be sufficient.

Also, two new links, which will probably end up in the links section. The first is the unapologetic weekly column of the guy who wrote the Long Emergency. For those of you who like your oil news somewhat less pessimistic and/or sensationalistic, The Oil Drum is run by a couple of oil eggheads.

Also, price of unleaded gas in Reno today? $2.60.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:50 AM

    The lack of a long view of our nation's energy addiction is really disturbing. Of course, now China and India are rising to challenge our position as the #1 junkie on the block, so I'm sure we'll be declaring war on someone else pretty soon.

    Fun quote for the day: "Conservation is a great moral issue, for it involves the patriotic duty of ensuring the safety and continuance of the nation."

    Any guesses?

    Theodore Roosevelt. (And you know what a bleeding-heart, tree-hugging peacenik HE was. . .)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:00 PM

    For yet another look at the "disaster in the making" point of view, check out http://lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny how much these worries turned out not to be so immediately urgent, although still not something to be ignored. Also, how much Kuntsler turned into a genuine crank in the years following this post.

    ReplyDelete