Thursday, April 28, 2005

Cue Maudlin Violin

As some of you who know me know, I am a smidge clumsy. I am also fond of technology. Sensitive, delicate technology. These two things do not mix well. Case in point, I love my iPod but tend to drop it a lot. usually from only a foot or two in height and to nicely carpeted surfaces. I had been lulled into a false sense of confidence by a lack of permanent damage to the ipod after every "episode." What I learned this week, is that while 1 to 2 foot drops are okay, 15 feet from the top of a steep staircase to a very unsoft concrete surface is not as good as you might think. Oddly, my poor Beezle Pod lasted for another half an hour before it froze and crashed repeatedly. Now it just makes clicking sounds at me when I try to turn it on. I believe it's trying to tell me not to turn it on anymore, like Bishop the android head in Alien 3.

I am grief stricken. My only consolation has been to use the rest of my tax return to order a 30gig color ipod and a 512mb of ram for my powerbook. So I guess I will just try to make lemons out of lemonade. With the the new color iPod I mean. Feel free to leave your condolences in the comments.

Also, Did I mention I have a Tivo?

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:45 AM

    Obviously, I'm sorry for your loss. It makes me heartsick just thinking about something like that happening to some tender tech nugget that I enjoy. At least you can afford another, but you'd still wish you didn't have to. I'm just also highly jealous.

    A quick paraphrase: How am I supposed to achieve Nirvana, a state free from desire, when I desire to reach Nirvana?

    I find it interesting sometimes (when I'm not caught up on the moment of tech-lust) to juxtapose my desire of some object with my need for that object. It often cools the flames of my passion and preserves my credit rating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not familiar with the difference between need and want. Also, what is this "Kre ditt Ray Ting" you speak of?

    ReplyDelete