Friday, April 08, 2005

I have arrived in Portland

It is lovely here. We were briefly in the pearl district to eat the best Sushi I've ever had. I'm still in some sort of endorphin driven state of contentment. We then went back to what Eric calls the clam (everything but the pearl) part of town. We are currently loading world of warcraft onto his computer so he can load up a 10-day guest pass and ruin his life. Tomorrow we may make a kite (or perhaps just buy one). His boss will also try and convince me to come to Portland and be a computer science M.S. or Ph.D. I will not drop everything and come racing up, but I admit it is quite tempting. I've always wanted to live on the coast. Anyway, that's what's going on. Before I move on though, a quick word on flying out of Reno.

OH MY GOD!

For those of you who have visited my new hovel on the hill, it can sometimes be quite windy there. So when I awakened to the whooooosh of the passing weather system trying to blow my apartment block down, I knew things would get interesting. Actually, the last few days have been about the windiest I've ever seen at my place. In the wind tunnel I have to pass through to get to my car, the wind feels like it's pushing you along. It feels like if I jump it'll carry me over the railing and into the parking lot. Anyway, I knew it would be bad. So on take off, about 30 seconds in it's just a roller coaster. Up, down, left sideways, I was so, so sick. The thing is, it's always bumpy going in and out of Reno, but this was so bad. Ugh. I was sick for half the flight. So consider it a warning. Flying into Reno is ALWAYS bumpy. Just so you know.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:20 AM

    The flight sounds like quite a ride. I can't decide what's worse: not being able to see the horizon, and getting airsick, or being able to see the horizon and being convinced that you are about to die in a horrible fireball as the delicate wings are ripped from your aircraft and you spin, screaming, into the ground at 500 mph.

    Portland sounds lovely this time of year. And while I won't lobby too hard for you to give up your life of science, it would be awfully cool to have you closer. So think carefully. Yes, carefully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to move to portland. But I'm not sure the time is yet. I'm still working on my "five-year plan" or whatever. I'm not sure exactly when I want to get my Ph.D.. But Portland is certainly an option I'll go for if my research program does a tail spin.

    Speaking of tail spins, thx for those vivid mental images. However, as much as I'm terrified of flying usually, I was pretty zen on the fear of crashing this time. However, I like being at the window and watching what's happening. Partly because in the isle I can't tell by how much we're bumping up and down. In the window, I can see that we really aren't dropping appreciably which helps remind me that planes (especially the large ones) are still built sturdy enough to handle some turbulence. But the inner ear I can't control and I was about 2 seconds from reaching for the barf bag when we broke into the clear.

    ReplyDelete