Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Taking the red pill as a suppository

So I just finished re-watching the matrix trilogy the other day. I don't hate it like others do, but I feel like it could have been more. Exactly what I don't know, it's hard to articulate. I guess it just seems like it all went to their heads after the first one. Or maybe after the first one I thought they might be more clever than I now think they are (they being the brothers W. of course). Anyway, now that I think of them as less clever and slightly pretentious, I tend to view the movies in a different way. Now when I watch them, every time something odd happens I'm mentally channeling Mike Myers (as Goldmember) from his third Austin Powers movie. This is what goes through my head sometimes as I watch various scenes:

"Look, he's really in a computer program, as a battery for machines, isn't that veird!?"
"Look, the machines look like insects, isn't that veird!?"
"Look, the humans all have a huge dance orgy in a cave underground, isn't that veird!?"
"Look, that machine copies himself onto other people, isn't that verid!?"
"Look, Keanu Reeves is listed as an actor in the credits, isn't that veird!?"

That would be a fun DVD extra, have a Goldmember audio commentary track.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. On a side note, there's a poster in a cubicle at work that reads: "I'm glad I took the blue pill . . . and voted! " I must confess, I don't get it.

On a note in a completely different octave from the previous note and it's side note, I saw Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy this weekend. I loved it. I knew most of the jokes already, of course, but it's about as good a movie version as will ever be made of the book I think. Marvin is funnier in the book, but I'm not sure that can be helped. I read that Douglas Adams admitted that adapting the story to a movie was incredibly hard (which was why it took so long), so I think he knew the results would be mixed. Regardless, it is still highly recommended. In fact, you are commanded to go see it. So let it be written, so let it be done.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:32 AM

    Hitchhiker's was pretty entertaining. I particularly liked the characterizations of Ford and Arthur. Trillian wasn't bad, either, but I had really envisioned Zaphod as more of a "traditional" two-headed man. You know, more like the Warcraft ogres. With more eyes. And arms.

    There were bits I enjoyed more than others, obviously. I did especially enjoy Slartibarfast, too. I guess, though, that I've lived long enough with my mental images of the characters and situations Adams created that the actual screen representation pales some what in comparison. However, I did find it amusing that someone wrote up a whole Wikipedia article on the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster, including an "earth-exclusive" recipe. Doesn't sound especially pleasant, but it should look cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:38 PM

    So I was watching an add last night with wiff about taking the red pill and all. And I noticed the red pill looks just like Colace (docusate sodium) a stool softner. I'm not allowed to strain or my head will explode like a Scanner.

    Those brothers W sure are deep. Neo took the red pill and he was flushed out into a life crappy sequels.

    --kvc

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, the swipe at the acting ability of Keanu Reeves was obligatory. It's always necessary when talking about his movies.

    ReplyDelete