Friday, January 16, 2009

Sink or Swim

I've been pretty good about swimming this week. For the last year or so my exercise routine has consisted of remembering to do wii fit once a week and maybe getting to the pool that often. The switch in my head that allows me to go to bed somewhere between midnight and 1am regularly has finally flipped and I've been getting up around 9am every day (this is a dramatic improvement over 1pm or on bad weeks 3pm). So for the last 4 days I've done wii fit in the morning (mostly yoga, with stomach/upper body exercises mixed in. I must, I must, I must reduce my bust). I used to think I could only handle 3 swimming sessions a week because I would end every session light-headed and exhausted. A friend helpfully pointed out that I was probably just doing the crawl wrong and breathing improperly and suggested maybe I just stick with the breast stroke. This was enormously helpful advice. I also figured out that maybe it would go better if I were wearing goggles. Kind of frustrating to be swimming with chlorine in your eyes all the time.

So, last night I entered the water, with my pink-lensed goggles (all they had at the store) and ready to swim. I had previously attributed my light-headedness and abbreviated swim sessions to the fact that I was just too out of shape to go for very long. You can imagine my delight at finding, when I stick to the breast stroke, I can swim for freaking forever, and with goggles on the experience was actually a delight. So I just kept swimming, and swimming, and swimming, until I realized I was actually smiling as I swam and laughing as I paused occasionally between laps. The last 5 laps I was imagining I was aquaman escaping the clutches of Black Mantis and I don't regret it. Well, maybe Aquaman's slightly chubby, little known sidekick "the Manatee" (that one was for you KVC). In any case, I haven't been that happy in a long time. And I realized that, by nature, I'm kind of a happy guy. I like being happy, I like being a goofball when I'm happy, and I'm not sure I give a flying flip if people don't like that about me. It was a good feeling.

The impact of last night on today is this: if I can swim like that then I am more capable than I thought I was. Today I am going to ask my boss about telecommuting from Portland. His answer is the crucial factor in determining whether I will be going with or against the current in moving to Portland. I hope he accepts the idea (hope, hope, hope), but you know what? It doesn't matter. Whether the current is with me or against me, I can swim for freaking forever.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome. I missed two days of exercise this weekend and am feeling like a fatty. Odd that once you get into an exercise routine you start to miss it and don't feel right without it. Good to hear swimming is going well for you! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:33 PM

    So... What did he say?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll add a new post addressing that very question right . . . . . now!

    ReplyDelete