Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I Was Not the Only One - Labyrinth edition

So, I really like the movie Labyrinth. But, while I enjoy it purely in a childlike and wholesome manner, I did always think the sweat pants David Bowie wore in that movie didn't quite leave enough to the imagination. I don't really bring it up that often, because I don't want people to ask me why I was looking at David Bowie's crotch. The problem is, once you notice that his sweats are uncomfortably revealing, you can't help but notice in EVERY scene. For years I thought I alone suffered this problem, but a quick search of the internet shows me that there were a wide variety of people who noticed and were affected by "Bowie's Bulge" as it has come to be called. With that in mind, please enjoy this mildly humorous re-edit of the making of labyrinth, with the description:

"A behind the scenes look at how the Muppet masters of Labyrinth created David Bowie's Crotch"



Edited to add:

You can imagine the entertainment of me seeing "the Nutcracker" for the first time a couple of years ago. It's not that I find it titillating, it's that I don't see men dressed quite like that every day. It takes some getting used to is all.

6 comments:

  1. Oh sure, I make a post (which of course in no way could be tremendously exaggerated for comedic effect) about how fascinating I find david bowie's bulge and suddenly it's gay this and gay that. How shocking. It is my belief that Bowie's Bulge transcends traditional gender and orientation norms to such a degree that to discuss it, is not to be gay or not gay, it is to seek higher meaning in the universe.

    But to take from my post that I am an obsessive compulsive staring at men's crotches when I watch TV? Oh internet, you used to be cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I purchased a copy of Labyrinth a few months ago when I saw it in the clearance rack at a local shopmart. I was harboring fond memories of watching it with H once upon a time, and laughing uproariously during the assault on the goblin city. We must have watched one particular five second segment a dozen times in a row.

    Then I watched it as an adult. As much as I'd like my daughter to love the magic of Jim Henson and his cronies, I'm not sure I can in good conscience have her watch Labyrinth. The Bulge is, of course, the major issue. That and the fact that so much of the movie is patently ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched that part recently again too, and I can't for the life of me remember what was so funny about those goblins. I mean we died laughing when those goblins got scattered like bowling pins. Maybe we were at exactly the right age to appreciate it. And you have to love the mecha-goblin. I think a lot of the songs are good though, and Bulge aside, probably the best performance David Bowie has put in in a movie.

    I think there are still things to recommend it, and your daughter could do worse, but yeah, I don't know that it's a must for every childhood. Henson in some form is a must I would think, but there are better muppet worlds than labyrinth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fail to see the connection between David Bowie's crotch and OCD. I'm confused.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:30 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Antspe reminded me why I was moderating.

    Antspe, if you must question my sexuality, write me privately please.

    ReplyDelete