Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Notes from the field

7:15 pm 7-1-05. We have arrived at Living Waters Ranch. Dinner was delicious. Have seen many family members already. The introduction by the owners of this place was full of religious language that makes me uncomfortable. And I haven't even hit the sing-a-long hymn section of the evening yet. I may fall asleep on my bed shortly in the hopes of avoiding it. Because if I go, I ain't singing. I'm precious that way. Ah, it kind of astonishes me how ready I am to leave these religious practices behind. You may find it sad, but it occurred to me recently that I don't care if I ever step foot in a church again. Well, more on that later. The oddest portion of the evening came when I noticed that the kitchen apron that the director's wife was wearing had written on it: "I am content with my role." Considering how devout they seem to be, it didn't seem like it was intended to be ironic. Who knows, they might think I have no sense of humor. On the plus side at this place though, the rooms are nice. Far fewer activities, than say the old camp, but the buildings are about 3 times nicer. And the view is pretty decent as well. Maybe I'll post some to flicker once I get back.

12:04 pm July 4. I have engaged my powers of sleep to avoid those things that I find tedious. So far, I have used sleep to avoid Friday vespers, Church, and the Challis 4th of July parade this morning. Although I learn after the fact that my dad was apparently on one of the floats doing yo-yo tricks. One parade watcher was heard to remark, "that's incredible!" So, yeah, I'm a precious, family-avoiding flower. Yesterday, I climbed to the top of the nearby hill and learned two things that I already knew. I am grossly out of shape. Granted, we're at 6k feet here, but still. The amount of huffing and puffing I did on the way up was an embarrassment. The allergy attack didn't help either. The second thing I learned and I already knew was that I am horribly afraid of heights. I got dizzy in certain steep spots. Yup, machismo is my real middle name. Of course my real first and last names are "no" and "whatsoever", so I'm not sure how far that gets me.

7:36am 7-6-05: Sitting in the Boise airport taking advantage of free wireless. All airports need to incorporate this feature. So let it be written, so let it be done. Will post again later as time allows.

3 comments:

  1. I can't get that apron out of my mind. Either it's really funny, or it's really sickening.

    Reminds me of a joke around the office:

    What does my client say to a woman with two black eyes? Nothing, he already told her twice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the whole time she was wearing it, I couldn't take my eyes off it. It was just pure disbelief that anyone would wear it. Gah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of the little theme songs KVC and Pat used to make up at camp. "Who puts the fun in fundamentalist? Marcus does!"

    I think I can respect what she's trying to say (everyone should have the right to chose the work that fulfills them [at least that's my take]), but can't it be said in a less cheesy fashion? What's worse, did she buy it for herself, or did someone give it to her as a "thoughtful gift?" Time for the veils and burquas.

    ReplyDelete