Monday, June 27, 2005

The Oath 2: The Re-Oathening

Lest this blog become abandoned, left by the side of the internet super-highway, sure to be picked up by an unsavory character and never seen again, I have decided to actually post. It has been unthematically busy in Slacktopia, which has left its king little time for such luxuries as blogging. But for those of you who wait on pins an needles for my every pronouncement, I apologize. But seriously, stay off the pins and needles kids. That's just . . . ew. Ugh, and what about that baited breath? A little hygiene, please. That's all we ask here. Oh, and also that you send me money.

So anyway, back to what this post was promised to be about. The Oathening. It turned out pretty much like I thought it would. The president of the institute sent out an email stating that we could sign the oath and write under protest on it with no negative consequences, but if we don't sign it we are fired. Everyone seems to accept that, even if it still rankles a little. Of course, some still worry that signing under protest will cause negative repercussions in the future, but that's to be expected as well. I will likely sign under protest, rebel that I am. But I suspect it will be quickly forgotten and nothing will ever come it. Shame really. Here I wanted to be part of a landmark court case.

3 comments:

  1. I still say if you have to sign it under protest then don't work there. Either come to terms that you are selling autonomy for food, rent and entertainment. Or find a place to work that doesn't compromise your moral sensibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And in a slightly wordier response, I went ahead and signed under protest anyway. I have no problem selling some autonomy for food, rent and entertainment. But I need to know what it is I'm selling. My hunch is this will never impact me in any way, and if they specified what action I had to take to defend against enemies I would sign it much more happily. So yes, you are most likely correct, and yes I signed it under protest anyway. Really the only the thing that continues to bother me is that this could somehow affect this institute's ability to do good climate science, as opposed to climate science that Republicans approve of. I think the possibility of such a result is remote, but remained a consideration, however rational or irrational. But for the moment, no specific action is being taken that comprimises my moral principles. When they start waving the oath around hoping to intimidate people, then I might quit.

    Also, as far as I can tell, most of the faculty signed the oath under protest. It's not likely they're going to fire all of us.

    ReplyDelete