Sunday, March 22, 2015

Technics and my complete inability to put a longform thought together

I'm still kind of stuck on Technics and Civilization.  Not because it's not a good read, it's great, but because I keep thinking I need to take copious notes and write some kind of meaningful essay-length review about it once I'm done.  But, I'm starting to realize this is maybe like trying to run a marathon first thing after not exercising at all for 10 years.  Plus, my to-read pile is only getting larger, that last trip to Powell's really put an exclamation point on how big my to-read list has gotten.  And realistically I'd probably be better served with some reading for a while, if only to relearn the ability to patiently focus on something for more than five minutes.

So I think the new plan is to plow through my reading list at a comfortable pace, and write whatever I have to say in whatever way I can manage to form the words, and hope both the reading and the writing and the thinking get better over time.  Gotta learn to run before you can fly.  And walk before you can run.  And crawl before you can walk.  And flail helplessly while rolling about before you can crawl apparently.

If you need me, I'll just be over here flailing about helplessly.

No comments:

Post a Comment