Monday, October 01, 2012

Status report - Habit

*static, crackling*
*click, click*

The more of the details of our daily life we can hand over to the effortless custody of automatism, the more our higher powers of mind will be set free for their own proper work. There is no more miserable human being than one in whom nothing is habitual but indecision, and for whom the lighting of every cigar, the drinking of every cup, the time of rising and going to bed every day, and the beginning of every bit of work, are subjects of express volitional deliberation.

  - Habit, William James, 1887

The above is very insightful.  I'm sure this is something many of you have known for a long time, but I am just starting to understand.  I've been railing against habit my whole life like it's a kind of death,  and it's made me miserable, frankly, for exactly the reasons expressed above.  I routinely agonize over things like bed time, clothing choice, and food.  In truth, I think I've been conflating habit in general with habits other people have tried to foist upon me.  Interesting to think that if my habits are mine and intentional, it might actually free me up to do other things.  As my dad would say, "Well, huh."

1 comment: