Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Now we are here in Xanadu

*originally meant to be posted on Facebook but was too long. Hmm, maybe I'll cross-post as a note*

Xanadu is kind of a funny song. The lyrics are ridiculously trite. Lady GaGa is Maya Angelou by comparison. The chorus goes: "Xanadu, Xanadu, now we are here, in Xanadu." And what's great about Xanadu is it has some neon lights and a roller rink. In the same way that it's not great writing to just have your characters just state how they're feeling ("That makes me angry!" - Robot devil from Futurama), it's not great musical writing to just state what you're doing. "we are walking", "we have arrived", "now we are dancing and singing." is not really great song writing either. I cringe every time I see a musical with those kinds of lyrics. Um, and that's all I have to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment