Saturday, April 25, 2009

Settling

People always talk about letting you settle when you move to a new place and it kind of makes me think of a bird getting a nest just right and then taking a moment to poof the feathers out and settle down just perfectly. You talk with people and they tell you how wonderful it would be to see you "when you get settled" only to find that once you get up there and ARE settled they sometimes give you a "oh my that was fast, well, we'll be sure to have you over once you're settled" which is entertaining when I started the conversation by telling them how settled I was. Of course, while there is a settling period for me, my social network is ALSO having to settle because now they have to factor in the fact that I'm living locally and how much, if any, time they can actually spare for me. This is perfectly normal and okay of course and makes total sense to me, I'm just amused when people tell me, now that I'm in town, they'll see me when I'm settled, when they really mean they'll see me when THEY'RE settled with the idea of me being here.

Which is all to say I have arrived in Portland and am completely unpacked and officially settled, Hooray! Although having said that, packing, moving, and unpacking took up many consecutive days of much work and back strain and I am officially pooped. I'm going to try and take it easy this weekend and conserve my energy for my future which seemed completely predictable and depressing in Reno and now seems delightfully if terrifyingly unknown in Portland.

2 comments:

  1. I, for one, want to welcome you to the northwest. We are so very happy to have you with us once more. You need to come over to WW and visit us all. It will be a rip-roaring hoo-haw if you do. Plus, we will have fun. There are also places you and Josh can stay for free (my house being one of them) if you decide to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will make it a point to visit sometime this month.

    ReplyDelete