Thursday, February 19, 2009

Summer Must Die

For my Aussie friends who are suffering through a really bad and hot summer, I present: Bad Poetry

Summer Must Die

Mad Doctor Drongo was Crazy
He lived in the house up the hill
Redundantly named and quite lazy
He was probably mentally ill

Mad Doctor Drongo was Mocked
We made fun of him without any guilt
He ignored us behind doors that were locked
and just tinkered and thinkered and built.

Mad Doctor Drongo was Fated
He would save us though we knew it not
When the coolness springtime abated
and the summer became maliciously hot

Mad Doctor Drongo was Steaming
As he busted out his door in the heat
"My aircon is overloaded and screaming!
And this sidewalk is burning my feet!"

Mad Doctor Drongo was Furious
He turned mad eyes up to the sky
"If summer brings heat so injurious,
Then I declare Summer Must DIE!"

Mad Doctor Drongo Created
He made gizmos and gadgets and rays
He pointed them all at the sky and then stated,
"Almost there, give me just a few days!"

Mad Doctor Drongo was Victorious
The flush of triumph bright in his cheeks
His creation that killed summer was glorious
And it only took him 12.5 weeks!

--------

Ah thank, you thank you very much. Ah, I had forgotten how much fun it is to write vogon poetry.

4 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I thought that some of the metaphysical imagery was really particularly effective.

    Oh...and, er ...interesting rhythmic devices too, which seem to counter point the ...er...er...

    ReplyDelete
  2. G'day mate!
    I was reading this poem while I was throwing some shrimps on the barbie. And strewth! Some kangaroos hopped into the yard and started attacking my pet koala! And then the mozzies came in full force and started biting everyone! Well there was only one thing to do...
    (In Samantha Stevens' voice) Calling Mad Doctor Drongo, Calling Mad Doctor Drongo! Emergency! Come right away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I figured I couldn't pull off actual Aussie jargon convincingly so I just left it alone for the most part. I'd pay good money for strewth to become a more popular exclamatory in the U.S. though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I almost forgot!
    "Stone the Crows!"

    ReplyDelete