Tuesday, August 09, 2016

All Overwatched over

Overwatch is fine, really. I'm an old, sad, introverted man so I don't enjoy team play games that much, but it really is sparkly polished. The DLC loot boxes are bullshit of course. I paid $20 hoping for an american flag McCree (nope!), but they're still a bullshit micro-transaction mechanic as it relies purely on gambling. It seems more appropriate for a collectible card game than a team shooter, but whatever. Blizzard wants your addiction and your money so I guess it's the obvious path forward for them.

Regardless, my real "complaint" is that it isn't a game with a strong single-player storyline and campaign. I know that wasn't the game they intended to make, but the Overwatch universe is probably the most interesting IP Blizzard has ever created and you can only really do the equivalent of play with the action figures from it. I would like to dive deeper into that universe but I can only ever skim the very surface. Frustrating!

1 comment:

  1. Team play games are really lost on me. I've been playing mostly independent games, and this is part of the reason why. I understand the theory of these kinds of games. But if playing with strangers is so much fun why is it that I never see people out in public spontaneously getting together and having fun? The anonymity breaks down some of the barriers but doesn't address the issue of these kinds of interactions being mostly gratuitous.

    ReplyDelete