Thursday, July 28, 2016

Teleportation is Murder

My real Star Trek theory is the teleporters actually kill everyone who uses them. They are destroyed at one end, and a perfect clone is recreated at the other. To the outside observer the same person has been transported. But in terms of the individual, their consciousness ceases to be and is then replicated.

And somewhere in the Trek afterlife, soul after soul finds its way to whatever lies beyond, astonished to find yet another almost, but not quite, like them. Hundreds, maybe thousands, over time. And whatever guardian exists in these dark halls watches with increasing vexation as each doomed soul pops into the hereafter, with a look of shocked recognition at the mirrored faces before them. This is not how it's supposed to be. It's not right. The natural order WILL be restored.

1 comment:

  1. This post makes me wish I knew more about theories of teleportation. It almost makes me wonder were teleportation possible involving something like what you describe here if we'd use it regardless of any ethical issues. Well I suppose I don't have to wonder about that. So instead I mean I wonder how we'd justify it, and for what. Like everything else I imagine the only thing that would keep it in check, for better and worse, are special interest groups.

    ReplyDelete