Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Fessing up

Not that anyone actually reads this blog, but you may have noticed I removed Edward Feser from the blogroll.  Not that anyone cares about blogrolls anymore either.  Anyway, I enjoy his anti-materialist philosophy, even though it comes from a conservative catholic place.  That is, until I started reading some of his "arguments" against homosexuality.  To wit, he thinks what I do and who I love is an abomination and I'm not impressed with his arguments for why he thinks that.  It boils down to naturalism and anything not "penis in vagina" being some kind of moral sexual sin, which is ridiculous.  Our entire civilization is built on using our appendages to do "unnatural" things.  From building airplanes so we can fly to using the mouth to give blow jobs, which don't, in and of themselves, seem to be cratering civilization as we know it.  I just don't buy that sex has some special need to be "natural", I don't buy that "penis in vagina" is the only "natural" sexuality given the high degree of homosexuality in nature, I don't buy that sex catholics are uncomfortable with is the same thing as sex that is destructive to society.  "I'm personally uncomfortable with it, therefore society is ruined." is a terrible argument, with few, if any, justifications.

And as much I like to see materialism taken down a peg from time to time (I support materialism as far as it goes and no farther), I can't continue to advertise for yet another christian looking for reasons to be uncomfortable with the gay, especially one using the same tired, old arguments.  Who I love isn't wrong, it's just not what he prefers.  I wish people like him could tell the difference between those two things.  If your philosophy is flatly contradicted by the lived experience of people you are lecturing to, maybe it's time to re-examine your philosophy.  Just saying.

*editting to add:*

Honestly, it was the comments that sealed the deal.  The fact that he tolerates such a toxic "christian" community in his comments was reason enough to stop reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment