Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Upon further review

As always, it is humbling to read what I have written, then read a punchy essay by people better at writing cohesive, engaging pieces.  I understand that blogs that are short, punchy and to-the-point are more popular, but it's not really what I want to write just yet.  I'd rather try and actually either make an argument for something or hash something out which is going to take more than a few sentences.  Why are people in such a rush, anyway?  Maybe they're usually procrastinating on the internet (*coughs*) and feel guilty about lingering too long on any one site.  So 30 minutes spent on 5 sites feels acceptable, because they only linger on a site for a few minutes before "getting back to work" (clicking the next link down the rabbit hole), whereas 30 minutes spent reading one long essay/article is more problematic to the decisive reader because one has to consciously set aside a sizable block of time to NOT do the thing one is supposed to be doing.  But if it's just one little link . . .

Ahem, in any case, right now I want to avoid short, punchy bullshit devoid of any real substance, and instead write long, thoughtful, but readable essays on whatever bullshit currently takes my fancy.  So, charitably, I think I'm about one for two.  Yeah, that sounds about right.

No comments:

Post a Comment