Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Tucked away in Concrete Forests

I'm trying to write artfully about the kind of society we built for ourselves and I'm failing.  For now I'll just say I find the layers upon layers of civilized protection, obstruction and distance from the natural world to be less helpful than I'm sure they were originally intended to be.  What exactly are we progressing towards?  Why does progress mean isolating ourselves as much as possible from the things our minds and bodies find the most soothing, like peace, quiet, the wind in the trees and water in a creek? 

It's not that simple, I know.  But regardless, I feel out of balance, and out of sync with both civilization and the natural world, and I'm not sure what exactly to do about that.

As always, the answer may just be that I'm the one who's crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment