Tuesday, July 16, 2013

One small step for a man child

Why it happened at 1am I don't know, but I finally wrote the introduction to the story I've been dragging my feet on for over a year now. It will require some serious revising, but it actually turned out a little better than I thought it would. And most of all, it was fun! New ideas came to me as I put it together, which is, I guess, how the process works.

I am still second-guessing my ability to put words together in a fashion pleasing enough to pay me for (because my brain feels so out of shape right now), but I think I need to try anyway, because I think it's important to me to know I tried. Now if I can just break though my ever-present fears of failure and change long enough to finish the rest I'll be set to start cracking it apart again with revisions. I can already see where I'll need to re-write, or do more research so I sound like I know what I'm talking about. But I'm thinking I should write out what I think I want it to be, then fill in the gaps in my knowledge with research, and go back and make it more interesting.

Although maybe I should outline the plot before i get too much farther. Maybe things should happen somewhere between the beginning and the end.

1) Opening Scene
2) ?????
3) Victory!

Is probably not quite enough to go on. Well, I have an idea of how the last scenes go pretty well, and a few scenes in between, but I'm not sure how to make the intervening scenes flow smoothly and keep the reader invested, and I haven't quite gamed out how things unfold given the set-up, the players and the end goal.

First things first. Write the first thing first.

No comments:

Post a Comment