Thursday, February 01, 2007

M.I.

I’m very down today that Molly Ivins died. From jan. 5 of this year:


What happened to the nation that never tortured? The nation that wasn't supposed to start wars of choice? The nation that respected human rights and life? A nation that from the beginning was against tyranny? Where have we gone? How did we let these people take us there? How did we let them fool us?

It's a monstrous idea to put people in prison and keep them there. Since 1215, civil authorities have been obligated to tell people with what they are charged if they're arrested. This administration has done away with rights first enshrined in the Magna Carta nearly 800 years ago, and we've let them do it.


She had a way to speak the unpopular truth that I admired. I am sad to see her gone.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:01 AM

    About this torture stuff, I'm not saying it's right, but I think it's always been going on with the CIA. I don't think it's anything new to this administration, I just think it's public now and this administration doesn't know what to do. In Vietnam, American soldiers committed countless war atrocities, i.e. massacring whole villages including women and children.

    Detaining prisoners issue came about because this president claims he's holding prisoners of war, and using his own little unofficial martial law declaration where he sees fit. It's inexcusable, but I wish we'd just never known about it.

    As for the nation that wasn't supposed to start wars of choice, that's the thing I most agree with from this little snippet. I felt the Iraq war was unprecedented. It depresses me. Sadly, this president has made the country largely forget 9/11 because of this war. Now we have the same number of American solder deaths in this war than we had civilian deaths in 9/11. Good job, buddy.

    As for Molly Ivins, I've seen a few of her columns, and she was too extreme for my taste.

    ReplyDelete