Monday, May 08, 2006

this is the end, my friend

Here’s a disrespectful look at some end times national ID and mark of the beast stuff. I could go on at length about this, but I’ll keep it short. I just want to point out how growing up Adventist it was about how Adventists were going to be persecuted by such technology and other churches. Later, one might admit that God’s chosen existed in other flocks, but by and large it was Adventists who were going to be persecuted. When I read articles like this, it reminds me that other denominations think they’re going to be persecuted by everyone else as well which leads me to wonder: Just how many churches think all the other churches (along with the athiests that are part of Satan’s church) are going to persecute them? It’s this type of thing that helps keep me away from church these days.

2 comments:

  1. Really? Do the churches in Reno spend that much time on prophecy, Revelation and the apocolypse? That would be kind of interesting. I haven't heard any (ANY) talk in church about Revelation or end-time events in a long while. Maybe it's a red state phenomenon. I would say it's a rural area thing, but I'm in the middle of one.

    Whatever happens in the future, I think we can be pretty certain about at least one thing: somebody is sure as hell going to be persecuted.

    Take a look at history ancient or modern, or current events and it's obvious that humanity is talented at splitting into tribes or groups based on superficial differences, and then working very hard to kill anyone different. Kosovo. Rwanda. Kashmir. Palestine. Somalia. Iraq. Sudan. We keep hoping that humanity can learn from it's past, but we seem incapable to educate ourselves fast enough. Or those consumed by anger, hatred or envy interpret history to make the point that their group is priviledged or oppressed, superior or entitled.

    So at some point, there will be some Adventists, along with others Christian or not, Protestant or not who will be persecuted. How it happens, or what the actual mark of the beast will be (or who exactly the beast is) concerns me much less than the willingness that so many highly conservative Protestants have to place labels on people or groups of people. That, I think, is how persecution begins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, this guy isn't from Reno, so I'm not saying that. I actually did some research trying to see if this guy was adventist or something. He might be an adventist fanatic who splintered off, but I'm not sure. They don't list denomination on their web page. Having said that, most of the sermons I've gone to in the last year here in Reno were end of the world, we're all going to be hunted down like dogs type of sermons. I have a theory that "cities of sin" tend to bring out the freak in the religious folk.

    ReplyDelete