Tuesday, May 01, 2018

Inifity War = a numb ass at the theater

I don't know if I need to spill ink over Infinity war. It was what it was. I liked it as a spectacle. It is basically a comic book cross-over in movie form with all the good things and bad things that brings.  All your favorite heroes meet each other!  Hooray!

But aside from spectacle, it relies heavily on the character work from all the pervious films to drive this one, because there's no time to develop it here.  You really, really have to care about a character coming in to the film to even start to care what happens to them here. A lot of amazing things happen that land with no weight because you know the ending will absolutely be reversed, and, more importantly, there's not enough time to establish any sense of stakes and therefore, inevitably, loss with any of the characters. I think it's supposed to be Tony carrying the emotional weight here, but he's not really given any more time than the others to develop it.

The only death that seemed sad was spider-man's, but that's largely because they pulled the "I don't want to go," line which was powerful the first time I saw a character say it, but seems cheaper and cheaper as a trope the more time goes on. Even the post-credits scene is less an emotional after-punch than an ad for the next movie. Not that that's particularly unusual, but it doesn't help things land any harder.

I don't know, it didn't crush my soul and I liked it okay. I can 100% see why someone would be tired of these things at this point though.

Also, my ass really was numb at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment