Monday, January 22, 2018

Seductive GOD of thunder!

"Are you Thor, the god of hammers?"

Watched Thor 2 again at the cheap theater. Although not so cheap with pizza and beer I guess. Anyway, I enjoyed it just as much, if not more.

Still struck by the conversations between Thor and Loki and Thor and Odin. Some of the best character work in the MCU in just a few sentences.

Still love Hela. Would die for Hela. Yes, Hela.

I think the commentary on Asgard's wealth and prosperity built on the blood and tears of a hundred civilizations part is still important. I think the "fuck it, here's scourge dual-wielding M-16s. USA! USA!" kind of undercuts whatever high minded allegory they're trying to make there. It's just kind of brought up and uncomfortably dismissed. To be fair, this is as far as we've gotten with the topic ourselves.

It can't let a heavy moment stand. In the middle of the destruction of Asgard they still have to be cracking wise. I want to say it smacks of emotional immaturity and insecurity on the part of the creators, but I think it's more likely just a lack of faith in the audience to actually care about that moment. I just don't think they struck a good balance between light-hearted and dramatic. Which is to say, it's a funny, light-hearted film, but they probably could have gotten away with letting things land harder.

Overall, still one of the best MCU films to date, although I suspect Black Panther will be a strong contender there as well.

They still should have left him his chest hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment