Friday, December 08, 2017

Frasier^2

Upon this, the occasion of my second full watch through of Frasier, a few thoughts.

Still great. Soothing. Excellent to drift off to sleep to.

Niles is creepy about Daphne for many seasons, but they do try and pin it on him. There's even a whole episode about him having to see her as a real person. Still, not my model for a healthy relationship.

I hated what they did to Daphne's character post-marriage. She loses all her quirky charm in favor of being Niles' dream wife. She doesn't do the psychic thing or horrifying tales of life in England at all after and it's a shame.

Wendie Malick is great as Ronee in the final season, and I wish she'd been added years earlier. She plays off Frasier very well and is funny in her own right.

I hated how they wrote Felicity Huffman out of the show. Her character goes from tough as nails and smart to vulgar buffoon in her last episode and it feels totally out of character.

Cheers and by extension Frasier are some of the funniest TV I've ever seen but the underlying tragedy of all the characters depresses me. The cheers reunion episodes. These are characters who spend their time skating next to the abyss and laughing into it. It would be depressing if it wasn't so funny. Frasier ends on a hopeful note, but as a guy currently in a low spot, watching Frasier spend his 40s failing to find love or purpose was bleak. When I wasn't laughing out loud and holding my belly, that is.

I still love the "party goes horribly, horribly wrong" formula. The best one was the episode that started with the end of the party as it spirals out of control, giving no context for any of it. The writers weren't afraid to poke fun at themselves and I appreciate that.

No comments:

Post a Comment