Tuesday, April 26, 2016

The Last Man on Earth

I'm still fascinated by this show. It has very unusual pacing and is a weird mix of comedy and melancholy beauty, and I find it utterly fascinating. It manages to capture intense loneliness and cringingly awkward insecurity, poor social skills and painful, agonizing personal growth all at the same time.  Tandy's ongoing nightmare, where the end of the world erased the socially awkward side of his life entirely, only to have it return with a vengeance as he find survivors is so painfully resonant.

It's kind of a painful truth to realize that no matter how you change your situation, or where you go, the problems you need to work through to be a happier, saner, healthier person follow relentlessly. In Tandy's case, even the end of the world isn't a big enough distraction from the problems created by his severely arrested development. He hovers constantly on the precipice of self knowledge, but neurotically drives himself back into his old habits, and it's so painful to watch. And beautiful. I can't look away.

2 comments:

  1. I tried to comment yesterday anonymously I don't know if that worked. In case it didn't, I said...

    I recommend "Baskets" if you don't watch that already. Also did you watch Futurama when it was on? I've already recommended Life Aquatic. I don't know if you've yet had a chance to see that movie. All of those things have the same kind of "unusual pacing and is a weird mix of comedy and melancholy beauty". In the case of Futurama, it's only select episodes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have anonymous comments turned off actually.

    I have not seen Baskets but will check it out. I think I have Futurama's entire run memorized. Life Aquatic I enjoyed, although I only saw it once. Wes Anderson's a mixed bag for me, although that movie I liked.

    ReplyDelete