Monday, August 18, 2014

Facebook Slaying

Pulled the plug on Facebook today.  Harder to do than anticipated!  I have more ties on there than I thought I did I think.  Facebook made it easier by being unable to resist one last attempt at manipulation on the logout page itself by putting up random pictures of my friends and telling me they'll miss me.  I suppose I can thank them for not overtly drawing tears onto algorithmically detected eyes?  How creepy is that though?  Facebook doesn't speak for my friends,  and should not pretend to in any circumstance.

Of course, leaving Facebook is like trying to kill the hydra, so no sooner had I suspended Facebook, than I reactivated it by logging into Spotify.  I then discovered that since I made my spotify account with my Facebook login, I would need to unsubscribe from spotify entirely and recreate a facebook-less acount and then re-subscribe in order to keep using it.  After growling briefly, did just that.  Spotify account unsubscribed.  Slightly less manipulation from Spotify but still passive-aggressive, "You're too dumb to know what you're doing so lets remind you of all the good things you can't possibly want to give up." from them on the unsubscribe page.  Social media are like abusive exes when you try to leave.  Super not into that bullshit.  Goddamn professionals should not program web pages that say anything other than:

 "would you like to deactivate your account?"
*yes*
 "Account deactivated, thank you for your business."

So, Facebook account redeactivated.

In the meantime, sharpening my sword and watching patiently for more heads to sprout.

No comments:

Post a Comment