Friday, August 07, 2009

The perils of standing out

Normally when I go swimming at the community center, I get a pretty good reaction from the kids to my blue hair. Boys tend to comment on it loudly, with awe, followed by questioning their parents why someone would do that, and if they could do that, and one time followed by a parent saying "teenagers do crazy things". Today, as I'm walking in, I got the "wow, that guy has blue hair!" from a little girl, walking in with her brother and her mom to the community center. I look over to see her brother gazing at my hair with that lopsided, boyish grin that says blue hair is the best thing ever, his sister who is analyzing my hair with her head cocked, and his mom who seems mostly disinterested, before running down the stairs ahead of them. The disinterest of their mom quickly turned to embarrassment as I hear behind me, loudly, the same little girl saying "Mom, I HATE blue hair!" which made me laugh out loud. To each their own I suppose.

3 comments:

  1. Kids say the darndest things :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I've got to know. Does the carpet match the drapes but not the upholstery?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No. And I dislike you for asking. But what's upholstery?

    ReplyDelete