Saturday, August 02, 2008

Things that make me sad

The Star Trek Online forums make me sad. Full of people declaring that only this or that game format will be "truly Star Trek". And playing the old game forum favorite of "I have 5 people that agree with me! Surely the game developers should turn over control of the game to us!"

My favorite are the people advocating that everyone start at the academy in starfleet and spend most of their time in-game taking orders from some unemployed 28-year-old mouth breather who is the "captain". And very thoughtfully pat each other on the back one someone agrees with them "Truly you a Star Trek Scholar and Poet, because you have captured exactly what star trek should be." Wait, no, my favorite was one of the afore-mentioned casually posting that they wanted to be able to have "erotic" star trek adventures because mature people like to do that. They were pretty clearly part of the erotic Stak Trek fan fiction community and wanted to take that online.

Essentially they want to live in star trek and if this MMO doesn't do that for them they are going to revolt or something. They just remind me how out of touch and sad geeks can be.

On another note, have I showed you my collection of veritech fighters? Sigh, I would love to live in Robotech. Of course, for anyone to make a game that lets you do that, they would have to incorporate the following things or it would be worthless and I would hate them. First, the controller would need to be a life-size, full scale veritech . . . . .

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:44 AM

    Is this an appropriate forum for me to share my erotic Star Trek fantasies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! Just no Data stories. We don't condone "robot fever" around here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, that captain sounds remarkably like me. Time to get a job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know for certain, but this could be essentially an application or corollary to the John Gabriel's Greater Internet Dickwad Theory. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete