Thursday, January 03, 2008

Unprepared

So it ended up Christmas eve that I needed tortillas. Apparently. So I went out hunting at about 10pm, hoping something was still open. Nothing was, of course, and the convenience stores don't carry tortillas so I ended up out of luck. Which was okay in the end, but what's funny to me about the whole thing is how many OTHER people there were floating around looking for open grocery stores as well. In the time it would take me to drive into a grocery store parking lot and determine if it was open or not, 4 or 5 other cars would do the same. At EVERY store I tried, there were 4 or 5 other people doing the same thing. There wasn't much traffic on the road and I like to imagine that the only people out that night were a legion of poor planners, still hoping to find a store magically open for them in some sort of Christmas Miracle.

1 comment:

  1. On that odd/funny little note, EVERY TIME something went unexpectedly right this Christmas, E. or I would proclaim it a Christmas Miracle. It's not actually that funny, but it never failed to bring a laugh.

    On another note, I started reading the actual story of "The Nutcracker." One of the things that struck me so about the story (in the first couple of chapters, anyway) was that the children believed the gifts were brought not by Santa Claus, Sinta Klaus, St. Nicholas, or any other incarnation of The Man in The Red Suit, but by the Christ Child. How 'bout that?

    ReplyDelete